For many moons I have observed my mom’s love of creating with her hands. As a young child, she taught me to knit and crochet. This was not an easy task as she is left-handed and I am right-handed. With patience and love, she showed me how to crochet a granny square and eventually I made a blanket. Mom also showed me how to knit scarves and eventually I knit a sweater vest.

In junior high, my mom encouraged me to hook a rug when my art teacher suggested that project as one of the fiber art choices. Because we were living in the “Age of Aquarius”, with mom’s help, I drew my zodiac sign, the crab, onto a linen backing. Next I cut wool strips and hooked them through the backing. This finished project was entered into the State Fair of Texas fiber arts competition, and I won a prize for my age group.

Now at 95 years of age, my mom is prolific at crocheting. She finds joy in making headbands, hats and scarves for others. In order to be present with her, I have taken up rug hooking again. We sit together crafting our items and thus enjoy spending time together. Once in a while I sew her granny square strips onto preformed pillows and we create an item together.

Spirit of the Plains documents the fun we are having creating fiber art together. To view our creations, visit: www.etsy.com/shop/spiritoftheplains

We hope you enjoy our stories, crafts and life on the plains.

Leave a reply below and let us hear your thoughts.

Nancy

Growing up in the 50s on the Texas plains influenced my core beliefs. A simple way of life based on faith first and family second gave me strength and confidence to create friendships and ideas that linger to this day. My mom's love of needlework instilled in me a curiosity for creating handmade goods. My dad's love of nature and road trips influenced the basis for my designs. The spirit of the plains lives on in my son's creative efforts. His art inspires some of our designs. Check out John's art at: www.lowplains.net

13 Comments

Kate Dalton · September 14, 2017 at 6:31 pm

I love the idea of shared art. The beauty of art is getting to share it with others. What a joy to share the creative process with others and not just the end product.

Nancy · September 14, 2017 at 11:34 pm

They say “beauty is in the eye of the beholder,” but I agree with you that the beauty in art is much more than an emotional response to the viewing of an art object. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on our blog.

Vikki Morgan · September 15, 2017 at 3:45 pm

I love your creative adventures!

Lori Weaver · September 15, 2017 at 6:02 pm

Love this! Spent many hours watching my mother in her “art studio” aka the garage. Her talent passed me but I am blessed to see it in my son’s work. Love the fellowship you enjoy working along side your mother. A life lesson to us all.

Nancy · September 15, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Lori, I did not know your mom was a garage artist like my mom. I do know Walt has incredible talent in the arts. I’d love to see some of your mom’s creations!

Carrie · September 15, 2017 at 6:30 pm

NANCY!! Way to go! I love your creative process and LOVE your mom!

Nancy · September 15, 2017 at 7:48 pm

Thanks for your support, Carrie! I know you and Ellen share a talent for sewing. That was quite a stylish polka dot cape you whipped up in a hurry last night. Are your mom, sister and her girls seamstresses too?

Ginger Williford · September 15, 2017 at 8:00 pm

I love reading about your mom’s talents! She truly was blessed with artistic talents in crocheting, sewing and painting!

Nancy · September 16, 2017 at 1:34 pm

Your comment makes me smile to think of my mom’s crafts as blessings. She is blessed indeed!

Vickie casey · September 16, 2017 at 2:00 am

Love your comments about your mom. My mom taught me how to see. I am now into creating fabric art and painting.

Nancy · September 16, 2017 at 1:32 pm

We need to get together so I can see the fabric art and paintings you are working on. Does Suzanne like to sew? Are you teaching your grandkids?

Alice Scarborough · September 16, 2017 at 9:47 pm

I so admire your creative work, Nancy. How wonderful you learned it from your mom. So special that you both continue it today!

Nancy · September 16, 2017 at 11:04 pm

Thanks, Alice. It is a peaceful thing to share amidst the roller coaster ride of aging. Mom’s eyesight is not as good as it used to be due to cataracts and her unwillingness to have cataract surgery. I think her muscle memory after all these years of crocheting will allow her to continue her craft even though she can hardly see what she is doing. Hope all is well with you and Byron.

Comments are closed.